Installed ArduinoIDE2.0 to prevent Log4j vulnerability. | そう備忘録

Installed ArduinoIDE2.0 to prevent Log4j vulnerability.

Arduino IDE

The Arduino IDE uses Java internally, and is affected by the Log4J vulnerability.

The Arduino IDE I’m using now is v1.8.13, but I was told that upgrading to v1.8.19 would avoid the Log4j vulnerability for now.

I upgraded to v1.8.13, but since v1.8.x and v2.0 can live together, I took the opportunity to install v2.0, which does not use Java.


At this point (December 23, 2021), the following are some of the cautions I have noticed in v2.0.

  • The menu is in English only.
  • Old versions can be used in parallel without modification (new installation image)
  • Preferences of the previous version are not inherited (you need to redo from File→Preferences)
  • Additional libraries installed so far are recognized.
  • Doesn’t seem to support third party plug-in tools at this time (SPIFFS didn’t support it).
  • Of course, the user interface will change.


Download 2.0 from this page.

I selected “Windows Win 10 and newer, 64 bits”.

Arduino IDE 2.0

The Arduino IDE is a free tool with no functional limitations, and I have been grateful to use it for free until now.

If you want to use it for free, you can download the installer file by clicking “JUST DOWNLOAD”.

I decided to make a donation in honor of the developers of v2.0 and their quick response to the Log4j vulnerability.

I selected $10 and clicked “CONTRIBUTE & DOWNLOAD”.


I could choose to donate by PayPal or card.

If you check the box “Cover the transaction free of 3% + $0.30, so all of my donation goes to Arduino”, the fee will be added to the donation amount.

I wanted to show my generosity, so I checked the box and made a donation via PayPal.

Donate via PayPal

When the payment was finished by PayPal, a thank you page was displayed.


After that, a dialog box will appear to download arduino-ide_2.0.0-rc3_Windows_64bit.exe, so I saved it to my computer and ran it

After installation

The following is the screenshot after installation and startup.

The user interface has changed quite a bit from 1.8x.

Also, as I mentioned earlier, it is not an upgrade of the old version, but a different application, so the settings made in the old version are not carried over.

I changed the settings so that they would be the same while running both versions and comparing them.

Screen after startup

Also, for now, the only language available is English.

Environment settings

The libraries that I had added so far were recognized, so I was able to compile them as is.

However, the way it looks is quite different and it is displayed on the left instead of the new Window.

Also, it took quite a while to display the additional libraries, but I think the display speed has become faster.

Library Manager

This concludes this article.


I hope this article will be useful to someone somewhere.

souichirou kikuchi

I'm Japanese. A reminder to remember what I've done. I'm blogging in the hope that it will be helpful to others who want to do similar things. I mainly write blogs about LEGO, AWS (Amazon Web Services), WordPress, Deep Learning and Raspberry Pi. At work, I'm working on installing collaborative robots and IoT in factories. I passed the JDLA (Japan Deep Learning Association) Deep Learning for GENERAL in July 2019. If you have any questions, please leave them in the comments at the bottom of the article.


Name, Email, and Website are optional.
and, your Email address will not be published.